Thursday, April 12, 2012

StoryBook Spring

I'll be at the Frick Art & Historical Center this Saturday celebrating Storybook Spring--an all-day family event featuring story times, local Pittsburgh authors and illustrators, crafts, etc etc.  Happily, Katherine Ayers and I are scheduled at approximately the same time.  How well I remember Pennsylvania's One Book Every Young Child in 2008, Up, Down, and Around by Ayers and illustrated by Nadine Bernard Westcott.  This is a funny rhyming picture book about veggies and where they grow...up in the air, down in the ground, or twisting and vining all around.  It's a perfect book to feature in a springtime blog and program.  Use my program below or visit Brimful Curiosities for great garden program ideas using Ayer's book.

I really love to use Demi's Empty Pot in at least one or two Spring programs.  I myself often come up with empty pots this time of year, and I can relate to the little gardener in the book.  Gardener or not, though, every child and parent/teacher will appreciate the lesson about truthfulness and doing-ones-best. As well, everyone will appreciate Demi's soft pastels and brilliant idea of framing each picture as if it was the motif of a fragile, glowing, porcelain plate.  Fantastic!

















PROGRAM

INTRO SONG
I Love Dirt (to the tune of "Three Blind Mice")
I love dirt.  I love dirt.
Fun brown dirt, fun brown dirt.
I love to dig down in the ground.
I love to have dirt all around.
I love to pile it in a mound.
I love dirt!


Gayle Bittinger in Busy Bees, Spring: Fun for Twos and Threes




BOOKS

Up, Down, and Around by Katherine Ayers and illustrated by Nadine Bernard Westcott 

Empty Pot by Demi or

MOVEMENT

Little Sprouts Grow....children can pretend to be small, round seeds slowly growing taller and taller.  You may call out vegetables from the book and ask them to show you how that veggie would grow.  "Around and around" plants should get some wiggles out!


ART ACTIVITY

I think that the magic seed activity that I wrote about it in a previous post is perfectly in keeping with this program and Demi's picture book.  Glue a see to a piece of paper or cardboard and ask the children to imagine what will grow.  A simple drawing is fun, but can you imagine a garden of 3D magical flowers exploding in your library or classroom? 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for mentioning my Up, Down and Around post. Ayres' book is still one of my favorite books about gardens for preschoolers!

    ReplyDelete