Sunday, April 8, 2012

Arbor Day

I don't often use poetry in programs, and I really, really should.  It's great with any age, it fits any mood, it's short or long, it invites participation and discussion.  It is the ultimate story time stretcher.  I am really looking forward to using Douglas Forian's Poetrees for my upcoming Arbor Day program.  I may not read all of them, but I will definitely read Roots, Paper Birch, and my favorite Tree Rings.  Each poem is short enough that you could use the whole thing, and you will probably want to share many of his rustic and folksy illustrations no matter what.  

Below is a list of other books that will have you hugging the nearest tree.



On the serious side:

Mama Miti: Wangari Maathi and the Trees of Kenya by Donna Jo Napoli and illustrated by Kadir Nelson

Wangari's Trees of Peace: A True Story From Africa by Jeanette Winters

This Tree Counts by Alison Formento

A Tree is Nice by Janice May Udry and illustrated by Marc Simont

The Gift of the Tree by Alvin Tresselt and illustrated by Henri Sorenson

A Log's Life by Wendy Pfeffer and illustrated by Robin Brickman

The Life Cycle of an Apple Tree by Linda Tagliaferro 


And getting silly:

Good-Night, Owl! by Pat Hutchins

Nuts to You by Lois Ehlert

No comments:

Post a Comment