Sunday, February 5, 2012

When You Are Camping

My newest book "When You Are Camping"(published by Kane/Miller and imprint of EDC) is in print!  I am thinking about author visits now and creating a program to share with audiences.  I thought I might as well share it here first!

20-30 MINUTE PROGRAM FOR FAMILIES

Intro Rhyme:

I am going camping.
(point thumbs proudly to chest)
Time to pack
(point to wristwatch)
My tent, my bedroll,
(Make tent with hands; then fold hands to cheek.)
And a snack.
(Pretend to eat)
I'll sit by the campfire
(warm hands over fire.)
Its glow so bright.
(Fan and wiggle fingers to resemble fire.)
Then snooze in my tent
(Pretend to snore.)
'Til the morning light!

(Open eyes wide, forming sun over head.)


BOOKS:

 Looking Closely Through the Forest by Frank Serafini



I love Serafini's "Looking Closely" series.  This newest title would be a perfect fit for a camping program, but "Looking Closely Around the Pond" or even "...At the Beach" will work!  I've blogged about Serafini before.  The books are just so good for storytimes.  They work with kids of almost any age and they generate audience participation.  You can't go wrong here.
















When You Are Camping by Anne Lee 

Published by Kane Miller and available in March 2012.  When You Are Camping is the story of two little girls out in the woods.  When it rains, they splash in puddles.  When it is sunny, they go swimming.  They see bugs, rabbits, and a deer.  Anything can happen when you are camping!  This book was written for a preschool audience, but will work for toddler storytimes, and older children will enjoy talking about camping and outdoor adventures, too.

Final Song:


Camping Hokey-Pokey


You put one marshmallow in, you take one marshmallow out.
You put one marshmallow in, and you shake it all about.
Then you do the hokey-pokey and you turn yourself around.  
That's what it's all about.


You put two marshmallows in, you take two marshmallows out.
Etc.


ACTIVITIES:


Pack-the-Backpack relay race or station


Make nature journals 


Animal and Pawprint Matching






          

No comments:

Post a Comment