Monday, October 17, 2011

Books that keep us up all night...

The Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh just celebrated a 24-hour readathon to raise awareness about the library and its need for funding.  24-hours worth of volunteers read for 10 minutes each from a favorite book...all afternoon, all through the wee hours of a very chilly October night, and into the cold gray morning.

It got me thinking about those books that kept me up all night as a kid--not in a paralyzed-with-fear-way (although there certainly were a few of those...Alvin Schwartz's Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark anyone?)--but those books that I devoured hour after hour until the very last word.

Every reader has a list of these books.  Below are a few of mine...Most of them are mysteries, so spooky October is a good time to recall and revisit and some of these old titles.

I wonder what books will inspire my own daughters' first-all-nighters.  Below I included a few of the chapter books that my 4-year old listens to on CD again and again and again and again....She may not be able to stay awake all night for them, but they have certainly grabbed her little imagination!



Some of My All Night Reads:

Howliday Inn by James Howe

The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin


From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg


A Tangled Web by L. M. Montgomery


The Dollhouse Murders by Betty Ren Wright ...like a YA version of a V.C. Andrews this story was a little bit trashy, and so scary I had to read it all night because I was afraid to turn the light off.

Some Chapter Books My Daughter Loves:

Anything Geronimo Stilton but especially, I'm Too Fond of My Fur by Geronimo Stilton

Judy Moody and Stink in the Mad, Mad, Mad Treasure Hunt by Megan McDonald

Nate the Great mysteries by Marjorie Weinman Sharmant, illustrated by Martha Weston

No comments:

Post a Comment