Thursday, September 8, 2011

Loosen Up...A New School Year Storytime

For Kindergarten through 2nd Grade...maybe some preschools, too...

PROGRAM:


Opening 

My Hands

Sometimes my hands are at my side; 
Then behind my back they hide. 
Sometimes I wiggle my fingers so, 
Shake them fast,
Shake them slow.
Sometimes my hands go “Clap, clap, clap!” then I rest them in my lap. 
Now they’re quiet as can be, 
Because it’s story time, you see.


Thanks Toronto Public Library!

The Secret Shortcut

The Secret Shortcut by Mark Teague (1999)

Dog Day

Dog Day by Sarah Hayes and illustrated by Hannah Broadway (2008)
When I first read this book a few years ago, I wasn't charmed by it at all.  Reading it again this week though, it really felt like a winning program book.  It is S-I-L-L-Y!  And if you are ready to get really silly and a little bit loud with your students or children definitely I think it's a guaranteed winner.

Action Rhyme/Activity

Follow up Dog Day, with a super silly game of Simon-the-substitute-dog-teacher-Says.  Get all of the wiggles, barks, and growls out and settle down for a classic everyone loves.

Miss Nelson Is Missing!

Miss Nelson is Missing by Harry Allard 

Closing Rhyme

We’ve listened
We’ve listened to stories
And sat with our friends,
But now we are finished
And it is the end.


No comments:

Post a Comment