Monday, August 1, 2011

Playing with Fairy Tales...a real surprise

When it comes to recreational reading, I am not particularly fond of poetry.  Nor am I particularly fond of "fractured" fairy tales.  I've used them for programs from time to time, but I'm not inspired to pick them out of the library line-up just for fun.  Needless to say, it would have been a very long time before I ever would have picked up Dutton Children's Books 2011 title, "Mirror, Mirror" by Marilyn Singer and illustrated by Josee Masse.
  It was my four-year old who selected it at the library and insisted on not only bringing it home, but actually reading it (yes, I do occasionally squirrel very loathsome books away so that they are forgotten...thus getting out of the library without a tantrum, and saving my sanity at home).  And yes, we did have to read again and again and again.

Singer cleverly elaborates our favorite fairy tales in short poems, told twice in two different perspectives--I don't want to give the real surprise away!  My preschooler loved guessing who each poem was "told by" or who they were talking about.  I am not altogether sure that she got each poem, but her wheels were spinning like crazy and she loves this book.  It's not a princess-thing, so try it out with your boys, too.

PROGRAM for K-2nd grade (I used this program with a summer camp, k-5th grade, and everybody had a blast):

Books:

Waking Beauty by Leah Wilcox, illustrated by Lydia Monks

Waking Beauty







 


or

Falling for Rapunzel by Leah Wilcox, illustrated by Lydia Monks
Falling For Rapunzel

Mirror, Mirror by Marilyn Singer, illustrated by Josee Masse

Activity:
Find a fairy tale mad lib template online or in a book...Write one or two together as a group.  Give everyone a fairy tale mad lib to take home and do on their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment